Monday 28 May 2012

The Forgotten Pants

Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is enjoying the glorious sunshine. Actually scratch that, I hope everyone is inside on their laptops enjoying my blog.

Today's tale of hilarity focuses on an issue that I expect all parents have to go through; at what point is your child capable of dressing themselves?

When I was a wee squirt just starting primary school, my mum decided that it was time for me to start dressing myself. The first few days went without a hitch, I was fully dressed for school and proud of my garment assembling achievements. However, after a few weeks went by, it seems I had a little set back. I was in school assembly one afternoon, singing my little heart out to "All things bright and beautiful", legs crossed, as was the norm back then. My father was holding the assembly (he was headmaster of my primary school at the time) and at the end was discreetly informed by another teacher that his daughter did not appear to be wearing any pants. Awkward.

Luckily there were lots of pants on stand by for those anxious children who couldn't hold it in 'til break time, so I was taken by the hand and assisted into a pair of pants. My mum still finds it bizarre to this day that after weeks of dressing myself perfectly, I forgot to put my pants on. I like to think it was a conscious decision on my part; I was making a statement, speaking out against the lack of freedom for our bits and bums, constantly tucked away and restricted in underwear and the like. I have to admit though, the likelihood is, I just forgot.

I am rather pleased my parents chose not to tell me this story until I was grown up, as I would probably have been too mortified to show my face in front of the teacher who noticed my lack of underwear ever again.

So, the moral of this story is, always check your child is wearing pants before they leave the house. And after that, check you have remembered yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment