Friday 2 September 2011

For your amusement today... the awkward first day at work

Hello happy readers,

                                  With there being so much stress and pressure in the world, I have decided to relieve all your woes, sadness and angst, by posting embarrassing things that have occurred to me. Or at least give you a little chuckle once a week. So, without further ado...

Last week I was on work experience with a theatre company in London. Now I don't know about you, but I always feel a bit like a lost child on her first day of school when I do work experience, and this occasion was no exception. So, I arrive a few minutes early, having waited round the corner for ten minutes so I wasn't too early and appeared frighteningly eager. I meet the director, meet the other volunteers, follow him around awkwardly whilst he shows me the building - it's all going ok so far. Then the director takes me into the dressing room, and in the middle of the room is a pair of big, chunky army boots. The director looks confused, picks them up, turns vaguely in my direction and says:

 "This is strange. Are these yours?"  

Now, unbeknown to me, an actor has walked in and was stood directly behind me. But I must stress, to my knowledge, I was the only one in the room he was talking to. Of course, I was a little confused by this question, but not wanting to be rude I replied;

"Um, no. No I don't think those are mine."

The director looked very confused and explained he was talking to Jerry, the actor who had snuck in behind me. OH DEAR. What had possessed me to answer? Of course they weren't my shoes! I had never even been in the room before. What, did I think the director may have assumed that I'd have sent some men's army boots in the post to arrive at work before me, just in case the admin job involved any hiking/marching? Needless to say the embarrassment didn't help calm my first day nerves, but you'll be glad to know the director didn't bring the boots up again in the two weeks I was there (at least not to my face anway). I can't explain how or why my weird mind works, all I can do is write up it's bad judgement for your personal amusement.

So... Until the next embarrassing moment, have a nice, shame-free week!
Squid

2 comments:

  1. HeHe very funny story and very well told
    i have a feeling these blogs will make me feel like i'm not the only one who has emabarassing moment every week! or more like day! i fell flat on my face today in the middle of the street :(
    love you squid!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes my life! love you and your craziness :) xxx

    ReplyDelete