Sunday 18 September 2011

It's as easy as riding a bike...oh wait.

Hello hello hello.

I don't know if you've ever met one of those bizarre people who get to their twenties and still don't know how to do basic things like swim, or boil an egg, or ride a bike? I was one of those people. I was 20, I couldn't ride a bike, and to be quite honest, it made me quite sad. The thing was I had tried to learn a long time ago. My dad got me out and we took the stabilisers off and he was helping me wobble along the pavement. And then it got to that crucial moment, where dad made a decision to let go and see if I could ride it by myself, despite PROMISING not to let go.

It was the wrong decision.

I fell off, grazed my knee and didn't forgive my dad for a long time (In all honesty I still have not forgiven him and will have my revenge when he is too old to fight back...)

ANYWAY, I told my house-mate this little sob story and he decided that I had to learn. So one day we went down to the field near our student accommodation, and my poor house-mate wore himself out running along next to me whilst I went "weeeeee!"    At the end of the day, I was riding all by myself, and feeling very proud. My house-mate suggested that since I had done so well that I should try and cycle all the way back to the house. I agreed, I mean, I was feeling like superwoman at this stage. Cycling all the way home, no problem! The only thing was, when I reached the tarmac ground instead of my safe, spongy grass, I panicked somewhat, turned sharply, and went head on into a bush. Quite a prickly one too, I recall. I went home slightly dazed, picking bits of foliage off my body, with my house-mate laughing hysterically the whole way. He said the funniest part wasn't even that I had gone into the bush, but the fact that I didn't break, I didn't attempt to turn away - I knew I was heading into the bush and calmly accepted my fate.

Whilst the event was a little embarrassing, I have to admit, I wish somebody had managed to film it. It would have been so funny to witness. Definitely worthy of a 'You've been Framed' clip. Perhaps this could be a future career of mine; I get someone to follow me round all day and record my every move, waiting for an inevitable slip, fall or skid. I sell it off to TV and Youtube and we split the proceeds. Any takers? I'll be waiting, shin pads and a helmet at the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment