Tuesday 18 October 2011

Shoes are not always our friends

Harro :)

Today, aunt Squid is going to tell you a funny little story proving that mums really do always know best.

I came home one day and saw my darling mother in the kitchen. I went in to go and have a chat with her (because I'm just nice and friendly like that) and proceeded to take my shoes off and leave them in the kitchen doorway. Now, for those of you who don't know my mum, she is a bit of a clean freak (when I say a bit, I mean  you can see her eye twitch when you put a cup down on a table without a coaster. Goodness knows what inner turmoil takes place in her head when her children are inconsiderate like this).

So, mum being mum, she asked me to put the shoes away. And me, playing annoying daughter role, said I'd do it later.

Mum's face twitches ever so slightly.

"You ought to put them away."
"And I will."
"If you leave them there, someone might trip over them."
"No they won't. You can clearly see shoes there, no-one is going to trip over them."

This went on for a little while, and then we got distracted chatting about cars and dead plants ("I swear I did water it when you and dad were on holiday!") and the shoes were forgotten. I turned to go and watch TV, and on my way out of the kitchen, what do you think happened? I tripped and fell on my own shoes. Mum was literally GLOWING with smugness. I was shamefaced. I refused to admit that she was right at the time, as I was embarrassed at how successfully I  managed to set myself up for a fall (gettit? gettit?). But I think its about time.

Mother. You were right about the shoes. You were right about needing to take a coat. You were right about needing to put sun cream on. You were right about the journey taking longer than Google maps suggested. But you know what makes me feel better? You are the one who made me. You are the one who managed to produce a child that is possibly the ditsiest human to ever walk the earth. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment