Tuesday 4 October 2011

The Cheese Sandwich Fail

'Ello. :)

This week I am on work experience at a primary school (Miss Goodyear, he hit me, Miss Goodyear, can I sit on your knee? Miss Goodyear, why is your name so weird?) and all these memory pockets I had tucked away are all starting to unfold. Remember the little plastic chairs and handwriting pens, and white boards and pens that you just wanted to write on all the time because it felt so satisfying?

Anyhoo, this memory lane trip is when I myself was an infant and my mum used to promise me 'a bedtime surprise' (food) if I went to bed. Sometimes my surprises were very ambitious, such as crisps shaped like an animal, but some nights (I'm guessing when mum couldn't be bothered) it was just food on a plate. This night I had a cheese sandwich, standard. Only problem being I fell asleep before I ate the sandwich. Now you may think this story isn't so bad, I forgot to eat a sandwich, that's not so embarrassing. The thing is, I fell asleep ON my sandwich. And when sandwiches get hot (say, when they are stuck beneath a six year old) they tend to melt. Yeah. You see where this is going.

So, in the morning, to mum's horror, she finds a child with cheese that has moulded and set in her hair. Yes, that's right, I had a cheese head. Literally, stuck. Mum tried everything to try and get it out; washing, brushing, pulling. In the end she just had to cut a big chunk of my hair off. This story reminds me of those videos when children fall asleep and land face first in their food. Only I had to take it to that next level.

My family still find this story very amusing. However, if I do become a teacher, and a child comes to my classroom with a big chunk of hair missing, I shall solemnly bow my head to that child in sympathy. For being the one with hair filled with cheese is no amusing matter.

1 comment:

  1. Made me snort with laughter on the train... Thanks for the weird looks from strangers! :)
    -Simon x

    ReplyDelete